Manor House Collection
Based on the Ancient Roman Warwick Vase
The Manor House Collection is based on the Warwick Vase, an ancient Roman marble vase with Bacchic ornament, discovered at Hadrian’s Villa, Tivoli, Rome about 1771 by Gavin Hamilton, a Scottish painter-antiquarian and art dealer. The vase was found in the silt of a marshy pond at the low point of the villa’s extensive grounds. He then sold the fragments of the vase to Sir William Hamilton, British envoy at the court of Naples. It was then passed to his nephew George Greville, the 2nd Earl of Warwick.
It now resides in the Burrell Collection near Glasgow in Scotland.